Hospital Corporation of America Surgical First Assist CST in Las Vegas, Nevada
POSITION SUMMARY (includes, but is not limited to):
Certified Surgical Technologist - Surgical First Assist - Full Time Mixed
The Certified Surgical Technologist - Surgical First Assist (CSTFA) provides technical assistance to physician/registered nurse in surgical procedures related to the operation of the Surgical Suite. The surgical technologist function in the role of CSTFA after meeting the qualifications set forth and carries out the functions that will assist the surgeon in performing a safe operation with optimal results for the patient. The CSTFA does not function concurrently as a scrub during the CSTFA component of surgical patient care. The CSTFA also functions as a scrub when not assisting in the surgical technologist role.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (includes, but is not limited to):
The duties and responsibilities listed herein are not intended to be all inclusive but rather to indicate the primary emphasis of the job and establish the parameters for necessary skill, effort, responsibility and working conditions that make up the job.
1. Demonstrates sound knowledge of surgical techniques, both routine and specialized, and performs in a professional manner. Applies this knowledge appropriately to develop and improve skills in assisting the surgeon and in the organization of work utilizing economy in time, motion and materials.
2. Exhibits the knowledge and skill in applying the principles of aseptic technique and infection control.
3. Demonstrates ability to use all equipment and supplies necessary for surgical procedures.
4. Demonstrates ability to retract, suction, irrigate, apply pressure and assist in homeostasis by use of assorted sponges in the surgical field under the direction of the surgeon.
5. Demonstrates self-direction above and beyond daily assignments and actively offers assistance to colleagues both within main OR’s, CVOR’s and other areas of surgical services.
6. Applies knowledge of surgical anatomy, physiology, and operative techniques relative to the surgical procedure as first assist.
7. Recognizes surgical hazards and initiates appropriate corrective/preventive action.
8. Provides hemostasis by clamping blood vessels, coagulating bleeding points, ligating vessels and by other means as directed by the surgeon.
9. Provides surgical exposure through the appropriate instruments, retractors, suction, sponging techniques and tissue handling.
10. Places and sutures drains as directed by the surgeon.
11. Performs wound closure as directed by the surgeon; sutures under the direct supervision of the surgeon.
12. Under the direct supervision of the surgeon, may introduce instruments through established trocar sites.
13. Clamp, ligate and cut tissue per the surgeon’s directive.
14. Appropriately utilizes surgical instruments as directed by the surgeon during the operative procedure.
15. May perform secondary trocar insertion during laparoscopy procedures under direct supervision of surgeon.
16. May not perform first trocar insertion in any circumstance.
17. Practices within the limitations of CSTFA educational preparation and experience.
18. Understands and exemplifies the professional accountability the CSTFA role entails.
19. Demonstrates the educational initiative relative to the job role and skill proficiency pertinent to first assisting.
Equal employment opportunities are provided to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected category in accordance to applicable federal, state, or local laws.
For more details go to URL