Black & Veatch Sr. Optical Transport Design Engineering Specialist - Telecom - Virtual US in Carson City, Nevada
Sr. Optical Transport Design Engineering Specialist - Telecom - Virtual US
We believe real value is powered by the unique skills and experiences of our professionals. The interchange of ideas from a diverse group of people gives our teams an expanded perspective and the ability to find better solutions for our clients.
Company : Black & Veatch Corporation
Req Id : 35801
Job Title : Sr. Optical Transport Design Engineering Specialist - Telecom - Virtual US
Location : USVRTL
Business Unit Sector : COR-TELECOM-DIVISION OPERATION
Opportunity Type : Staff
Relocation eligible : No
Full time/Part time : Full-Time
Project Only Hire : Yes
Visa Sponsorship Available: No
Sr. Optical Transport Design Engineering Specialist functions as a technical specialist. Position will join the team for a utility client on the East Coast but can be located anywhere and work virtually. With minimal oversight, develops and applies advanced engineering techniques, concepts and approaches to unique engineering problems. May supervise engineering staff on projects of medium to high complexity or serve as a technical specialist providing knowledge and expertise.
he Network Engineer will be responsible for Optical Transport assessment, planning, design and implementation for utility clients. The Network Engineer will be responsible for three or more optical transport technologies such as TDM (DS0/T1/T3), SONET, Packet Transport and Optical Transport Network (DWDM/OTN). The Network Engineer activities include assessments/audits, troubleshooting and implementation for Smart Grid utility clients. May offer technical advisory and consulting services to the client. Provides Subject Matter Expert (SME) support to business development and pursuit activities, including assisting in the creation of proposal, scope, level of effort estimation and implementation plans. Leads and participates in project execution and technical delivery.
Key duties include:
• Candidate must be a self-starter and able to work with minimum supervision
• Communicating directly with clients (sometimes non-technical clients) to identify current and future communication needs
• Translating business requirements to technical network design specifications for implementation
• Collaborate with and/or delegate responsibilities to a team of engineers
• Assesses industry standards for models, and where appropriate, incorporates them into our network design best practices
• Participates as technical lead on major projects and application roll-outs
• Responsible for developing and adhering to all engineering/quality processes and procedures
• Ability to gather audit information, interpret and formulate network design documents. Examples include at a minimum: Network interconnect/cabling, power/fuses, leased circuit, rack profiles drawing, and equipment inventory presented in an organized manner
• Knowledge of AC/DC principles
• Knowledge of Transport/Packet/TDM networks
• Work hand-in-hand with project management on technical issues
• Develops and manages scope, schedule and budget requirements
• Leads production teams and may coordinating multiple discipline activity
• Supports continuous improvement and change management efforts
• Strong on documentation and processes
• Validates work of lower level network engineers
• Capable of optimizing day-to-day operational stability with the continual need to improve the service and deploy new services, processes and technologies
• Create or expand utility communication systems
• Understands, advocates, and supports IT and OT strategies
• Mentors others on the network services team
• Is externally recognized in industry as an expert that enhances the Company brand
Typically, a minimum of 5+ years transport network related work experience. Utility experience preferred.
Preferred Technical Competencies:
• Advanced knowledge of optical transport engineering design principles, guides and standards.
• Specific product knowledge and hands-on configuration experience on a variety of vendors (i.e. Nokia, Cisco, Ciena, Fujitsu, etc. OTN/DWDM/IP-MPLS/Packet Transport
• Advanced experience with configuring, testing and evaluating optical and SONET networks using tools such as OTDRs, Light Meters, optical scopes and other related transport apparatus.
• Hands-on experience configuring, testing and evaluating transport networks such as SONET, DWDM/OTN, and Packet Transport.
• Experience or knowledge using 3 or more of such tools as OTDRs, Fiber Characterization Test Sets, Optical Channel Spectrum Analyzers, Light Meters, TDM/Packet Test Sets and other related transport apparatus.
• Expert Installation experience with establishing, commissioning and integrating optical network devices, fiber, cable management and rack power distribution.
• Ability to evaluate, refine and implement architectural designs.
• Professional network documentation skills, including, but not limited to the development and evolving of network drawings, rack layouts, cut sheets and various technical deliverables.
• Writings skills in creating and publishing professional processes and procedures, including System Requirements, Method of Procedures (MOPs), work packages, Request for Information (RFI) and Request for Proposals (RFP), among other related deliverables.
• Well-rounded knowledge of telecommunications technologies
• Ability to scope engineering deliverable content
• Industry knowledge and technology trends
• Knowledge of technical aspects of the proposal process
• Intermediate knowledge of construction & constructability practices & principles
• Intermediate knowledge of process, procedures for project controls and estimating
• Experience with configuring RF/WiMax/Microwave radio equipment is desirable
• Cybersecurity knowledge and experience is also desirable.
Preferred Non-Technical Competencies:
• Logical Thinking and Problem-Solving
• Oral and Written Communications
• Influence and Consensus Building
• Consulting Mindset
• Dealing with Ambiguity
• Customer Focus
• Quality Assurance
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
OCP, CCNA, CCDA etc. preferred, but not required
Work Environment/Physical Demands
Typical office environment. Home office work space and internet connection to support work from home. Physical Demands: Sitting, talking, grasping, hearing, keyboard input, driving, seeing, writing, reaching, stooping, crouching, walking, standing for extended periods of time.
ENS: Eng & Technical Specialties
Black & Veatch endeavors to makeaccessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process because of a disability, please contact the Employee Relations Department at (913) 458-2147. This contact information is fordisability accommodation requests only; you may not use this contact information to inquire about the status of applications. General inquiries about the status of applications will not be returned.
Black & Veatch is committed to being an employer of choice by creating a valuable work experience that keeps our people engaged, productive, safe and healthy.
Our comprehensive benefits portfolio is a key component of this commitment and offers an array of health care benefits including but not limited to medical, dental and vision insurances along with disability and a robust wellness program.
To support a healthy work-life balance, we offer flexible work schedules, paid vacation and holiday time, sick time, and dependent sick time.
A variety of additional benefits are available to our professionals, including a company-matched 401k plan, adoption reimbursement, tuition reimbursement, vendor discounts, an employment referral program, AD&D insurance, pre-taxed accounts, voluntary legal plan and the B&V Credit Union. Professionals may also be eligible for a performance-based bonus program.
We are proud to be a 100 percent ESOP-owned company. As employee-owners, our professionals are empowered to drive not only their personal growth, but the company's long-term achievements - and they share in the financial rewards of the success through stock ownership.
By valuing diverse voices and perspectives, we cultivate an authentically inclusive environment for professionals and are able to provide innovative and effective solutions for clients.
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please click. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickand.
Notice to External Search Firms: Black & Veatch partners with BountyJobs for contingency search business through outside firms. Resumes received outside the BountyJobs system will be considered unsolicited and Black & Veatch will not be obligated to pay a placement fee. If interested in learning more, please visitand register with our referral code: bv123. Once registered, Black & Veatch will have access to your contact information should we choose to engage your agency for future hiring needs.
Job Segment: Optics Engineering, Construction, Engineer, Design Engineer, Network Engineer, Engineering
Black & Veatch
- Black & Veatch Jobs